Apps for Birders, by Birders: BirdLog, BirdsEye, & BirdsEye Hotspots
June 23: Update to the BirdsEye app...the original app that started it all!
- ABA Rare Birds: See Rare Bird reports for the ABA area for birds that are ABA code 3, 4 and 5
- See sightings just at a hotspot - Just set "Distance to Search" to 0 to see only bird sightings at that particular hotspot
- Set a Distance to Search and Timeframe for each of your Favorite Locations: Great for trip planning or your local patch
- Notable Sightings up to 50 miles or km from your current location; BirdsEye members can see reports up to 250 miles (** see below for more information on membership)
There is also a long list of improvements and tweaks to make BirdsEye run more smoothly, including:
- Option to sort your life or year list in taxonomic or alpha order
- When exploring sightings, the map comes up centered on the location you selected rather than defaulting to current location. This is a big improvement for trip planning.
- Updated Flickr link
+ More features for BirdsEye Members:
- Create up to 10 Favorite Locations
- Increase the distance range from 100 to 250 miles
- See the 10 most recent sightings for Rare and Notable species
The full story on BirdsEye NA.
Check out the BirdsEye NA Demo Video.
From Austin to Australia to Austria --- BirdsEye Regional versions have you covered!
- BirdsEye North America (US including HI & Canada)
- BirdsEye Eastern North America
- BirdsEye Western North America
- BirdsEye Hawaii
- BirdsEye Australia
- BirdsEye Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean
- BirdsEye South America
- BirdsEye EU: Europe and the UK
- BirdsEye Africa
- BirdsEye Asia
Comparison Chart of all BirdsEye versions
BirdsEye NA Demo Video showing bar charts.
BirdLog: eBird data entry on the fly for iPhone and Android;
Enter bird sightings into eBird where & when you need it ... in the field! BirdLog is the exclusive mobile data entry tool for eBird.
Check out the BirdLog demo video!
- BirdLog is available for both iPhone and Android
- Keeps a running tally of how many of each species you’ve seen
- Available in North American, Worldwide & Regional versions!
- Create lists even without cell coverage
- Quick Entry bar makes data entry fast and easy
- Plot the exact location of your sightings using your phone's GPS
(All prices are in US dollars, prices elsewhere vary based on currency.)
|North America:||APPLE iOS - $9.99||ANDROID - $9.99|
|Worldwide:||APPLE iOS - $19.99||ANDROID - $19.99|
|Australia & New Zealand:||APPLE iOS - $9.99||ANDROID - $9.99|
|Mexico, Caribbean and Central America:||APPLE iOS - $9.99||ANDROID - $9.99|
|South America:||APPLE iOS - $9.99
||ANDROID - $9.99
|UK and Europe:||APPLE iOS - $9.99||ANDROID - $9.99|
BirdsEye NA and other regional versions are optimized for use with iPhone, and iPod Touch Platforms (a native iPad version is in the works), while BirdLog is available for Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Pulling in fresh data on bird sightings from Cornell’s eBird database requires internet access, either via cell phone or wireless connection. iPod touch users can use the full services of BirdsEye to plan birding expeditions while connected wirelessly. Stored data, sound, photographs and text are always available, even away from a cell phone connection.
BirdsEye is Powered by eBird
Our mission is to support bird conservation and science through the eBird project. In addition to making apps that support and promote eBird, we also contribute a fraction of all of our sales to the Cornell Lab or Ornithology to provide financial support for eBird.
eBird at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology pulls in several million bird observations each month. These observations are added by thousands of birders and reviewed by local birding experts – making BirdsEye the most accurate, comprehensive bird location mobile application.